to your Favourites...
A simple, delicious, and textured alternative to mashed potatoes that is very light and goes particularly well with fish.
- 400g waxy potatoes, preferably Charlotte potatoes (9)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped chives
- 4 teaspoons of crème fraîche
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Cook the whole, unpeeled potatoes in boiling, salted water until a knife goes through easily (about 15 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and put them into a bowl of cold water.
- When the potatoes are cold, drain off the water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Using a small knife, carefully scrape off the skin of the potato.
- Using the back of a fork, crush the potatoes coarsely (do not mash them, just break them up).
- In a pan, gently heat the olive oil and then add the potatoes.
- Season with salt & pepper and, taking care not to break up the potatoes any further, fold in three teaspoons of the crème fraîche.
- Cook gently for two minutes and then fold in the remaining teaspoon of crème fraîche and the chives.
- An alternative is to add a tablespoon of lemon juice when the crushed potatoes go back into the pan. This goes particularly well with fish.