to your Favourites...
A simple recipe for beef pie with a filling that can be endlessly varied but is almost always guaranteed to be delicious.
- 1 × beef stew recipe
- 500g shop-bought puff-pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of water
Preparation Time: (3 hours for the filling) + 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5
- Make the beef stew for the filling (but cook it for 30 minutes less).
- Heat the ovan to 200°c.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of ½cm.
- Place a 20cm pie dish, upside-down, in one corner of the pastry and cut out a circle of pastry using the pie dish as a template. This will form the lid of the pie.
- Turn the pie dish the right way up and line it with the remaining pastry, trimming off any excess and filling any gaps.
- Place the beef stew into the pie dish and brush the rim of the pastry with water.
- Carefully place the lid on top and seal the pastry by crimping the edges together (also known as scalloping).
- Mix the water and egg yolk together and brush it over the top of the pie. You can decorate the top of the pie by using the excess pastry to make decorations such as leaves, flowers or the frieze of a hunting scene, depending on how much time you have. We opted for the leaves.
- Place the pie in the middle shelf of the oven on a baking tray for 30 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- We reccommed using shop-bought puff pastry because it is far quicker, far easier and just as good as making your own.